Wednesday 11 January 2012

Making Batik


I have to say that one of my favourite subjects to teach has to be Art. I tend to really focus on different artists and teach through their work, but I also include multicultural art as a connection to our Social Studies units. We make batik each year and my student love doing this. I think it is turning out better and better every year.
True batik is make with hot wax and dying, but that kind of scares me when I have so many 8 year old kids around. The batik we make in class is a pretty easy process. It requires white broad clothe, Elmer's blue glue and acrylic craft paint. Oh, and you need a large sink of bathtub. The project will take two days as it needs time for the glue to dry. In the past I have surged the edges of the batiks and made them into pillow cases or Bible covers for the students. This year I just left them as is.

I found the idea on a web site called the artist woman. She has other great ideas for your classroom on this site as well.

I hope you give it a try.






No comments:

Post a Comment